Saturday, February 21

coffee's coffee, right?

when the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) first formed in 1982 they decided to avoid the term 'gourmet' as it appeared on overused term in the world of coffee....oh my, how nothing has changed!

and if I hear 'I like bold coffees' one more time...

Back to the subject of coffee and the SCAA.  They try to help directionless souls like me with as many guides, instructions, charts and symbols to make the process of coffee-making more simple.  The theory is great but I have found the only real way to understand anything in coffee is to research something tonnes and then practice - lots of trial and error until you are all buzzed out!

But some things from SCAA are brilliant.  Like these charts and guides below (snaps taken at Transcend).  I hope to get myself these to put up in the cafe one day.  But before then, I want to know that I have the ability to distinguish between each element.


there's more than this but I thought it would at least give you an idea of the depth of analysis going on in the coffee world!

No comments: