Wednesday, October 27

Grandpa John. Passed away after 97 years young.

This blog is a bit of a mish mash of business and personal.  I'm actually rather critical of people that do this but I justify my approach by the fact that I don't really promote the blog via the website...so I kind of feel it can have a place in the hearts and minds of those who've discovered it.

My grandfather passed away yesterday.

He is responsible for Cafe Haven being in existence.  Back in 2005, I was living a rather hectic life in London as a Marketing Director at a magazine company: I was certainly part of the rat race when I met my wife-to-be Julie. Inspired by Julie's worldly travels I wished to get a taste of what she had already experienced, but I was fearful to leave the career job, the great salary and the lifestyle it paid for.  I confided in my grandfather.  His advice to me was, "when you get to my age you do not have memories of the time you spent at work, but what you did outside of it."

It really hit me.  The classic 'work to live or live to work' decision.  I took hold of my life and asked Julie to travel the world with me.  We did and traveled to South America, Australia, Tasmania, Thailand, Cambodia, Hong Kong and India.  Best year of my life.

Then we got married in Jasper and opened Cafe Haven in Sherwood Park.

My grandfather holds an enormous amount of influence over me because of the way he led his life.  On the precious few times we met, he told me about some of his adventures....Driving from London to Italy with his wife in a Jaguar.  Driving up to Scotland for one night's dancing at a swanky hotel.  It was his belief that you can do anything, you just have to put one foot forward.  He was a romantic and a gentleman.  A charmer and a funny man who always walked tall.

His real name was Cuthbert, which he hated and never used.  Ironic that I never use my real name either (Kim).  I think he came off worse!

In the last few years I headed up to the North to visit him.  By then he had a terrible short-term memory but could pluck childhood memories out like they had just happened an hour ago.  I loved listening to his musings and his constant positive spin on all matters.

I never had the luxury of constant contact with any of my grandparents.  But the rare times afforded were always quality and hugely important to me.  Grandpa John was truly inspirational and will be missed dearly by everyone who ever knew him.

Rest In Peace grandpa.
x

3 comments:

torkandgrunt said...

May I have your permission to share your heartfelt post with the family?

Unknown said...

Michael, Julie and Matéo,

Please accept our most sincere condolences. Treasure your memories of your grandfather. You will enjoy sharing them with your son.

Monique and Larry MacDonald

Unknown said...

Please accept my sincerest condolences for the loss of your beloved Grandfather.

May loving memories comfort you. Though the ones we love may leave life, in our memory, the love we know will always carry on.