Friday, January 29

Survival of the unfittest

I'm rubbing my eyes a little too much at the moment because it seems we're on course to have our best month to date at Cafe Haven. This is somewhat peverse: it's January! Who has money in January? I guess caffeine craving Sherwood Parkians (and I'm thankful for it).

I'm confused, although with my new and very shiny dad-brain, that doesn't take much.

So, this month has been less watching the bank balance followed by prayers every night and more about getting on top of dishes. Julie and I decided on scaling back the amount of hours our employees work in the week and gave ourselves full time work again at the cafe. Oh my once beautiful soft hands.....

It's worked because the numbers in the bank say so but it's physically hurt us. We're new parents getting used to 3am feedings and pooey diapers. That's left us snoring at the grinders or occasionally burning someone's bagel. I swore I would do something about my lack of stamina this year. Working at the cafe wasn't supposed to be the solution. And it's not exactly stress-free.

And then there have been some interesting moments in January: The drain on the dishwasher unhooked and created Cafe Haven Creek under our neighbour's carpet. With some absolute genius luck they're planning to change their carpet to tiles next week so don't care! Then our extremely high-end Black & Decker (ahem) food processor gave up on us after literally thousands of seconds of use, shock horror! "DON'T BUY RESIDENTIAL!" I can hear chefs all around Edmonton screaming. Does Cuisinart count? No? Oh well....

This small death was followed by a waffle-maker homicide. Rumour has it a Saturday staff member went - as we say in the UK - 'ape shit on it'. R.I.P. Mr Waring. Thankfully, the speedy staff of Hendrix Condon Barr had a replacement shipped from the east in time for this weekend's peanut butter waffles. Impressed indeed.

The staff have been incredibly consistent this month, giving us very few hurdles or stresses to deal with. And that's a real blessing. Actually, there is a really good feeling about the current bunch - a nice gelling of personalities. And that is so important.

And lastly, the cinnamon buns. Edmonton Journal's Liane Faulder does a spot on CBC every other Friday to talk about foodie things. Best cinnamon buns was this week's (29th Jan) topic and we were mentioned! I have to admit, it is one of the few things we don't make at the cafe. A local husband and wife team are the ones who bang out these great desserts, using old church and family recipes. Congratulations Vivian.

Watch out for news on our Original Fare membership!! Very exciting times ahead.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Even though I'm in a different province, I still like being up to date with Cafe Haven news. I'm happy that the cafe is going well. Looks like you're starting off the New Year pretty well.
I wish I could go for one of your brunches. They sound really good. Also, I agree, that your cinnamon buns are pretty damn delicious.

Cheers,
Cindy

Too Cool said...

I live in Edmonton. Back before Starbucks and Second Cup came steamrolling into town, there used to be a whole bunch of really cozy comfy places a group could spend some quality time in a very nice setting sipping tea, eating decadent deserts, and shooting the (you know what the next word is).

Since the evil Starbucks came and decimated the whole coffee landscape, people have forgotten what it felt like to have a place that was comfortable enough to share more than one cup of coffee with friends.

Cafe Haven is that place. The place where you can actually have soup and sandwiches beside a fire (cause we girls like to be warm) while sipping a fantastic cup of Earl Grey tea while catching up with friends, or like last night, celebrating a birthday of someone special.

Thank you for reminding me that there is a place that still values customers and knows exactly what they seek...a home away from home they can invite their friends to share the week's newest gossip. You just can't find that in Edmonton, St. Albert, or anyplace close by, but you can find it at Cafe Haven.

I shall tell all my friends about your magical place!

Too Cool

Eva said...

Attention... I love, love, love your cafe. The coffee is simply the best I have ever had. Everytime I come into the park to visit my parents I always make it my mission to have my alone time with my book & as many mugs of coffee that I can consume before you close for the day. Here is what I'm missing though.... Your BLOGS! It's been 3 months almost since I've had my haven coffee fix & almost 3 months since I've had your blog to muse through. Please please please let me have both this Saturday in your beautiful cafe.

With love for the best coffee of my life,
Eva